Dance bag take 2

I loved the way the first dance bag I made turned out.  I loved it so much that I made one for Sierra as well.  She started dance back in September and since then she’s been carrying this way-too-big-for-a-3-year-old cinch bag that I got at a triathlon.  It worked in that it carried stuff, but it wasn’t ideal.

Sierra’s favorite color is green, so I used this fun polka dot fabric and made the dancer applique in green.  Fun!

Like the last dance bag, I added a fun detail with the green hardware on the bag.

The dance bag has a large velcro pocket on the back and the flap is secured with velcro as well for easy in/easy out for a 3-year-old.

The inside is: green denim!  Do you think I overdid the green?  I don’t think so; Sierra loves it, and that’s the most important thing.

As I was making this (second) dance bag, I realized that this size of small messenger bag is exactly the size and sort of bag I preferred to carry before I was carrying a diaper bag most of the time.  Which led me to think that perhaps with an additional pocket and longer straps, I could make these for grown-ups as well.  If only there were a way to find out if people would be interested.  Guess I’ll never know if I don’t just go for it, right?

13 replies
    • sewingbymoonlight
      sewingbymoonlight says:

Thanks, Jess! I realized as I was making this one that it was just the right size. Not too big enough, but big enough to hold wallet, keys, phone, small water bottle, book, and other “essentials.” (that term is relative, but this is the type of bag I like!)

1. Ginger
    Ginger says:

Lovely bag! I’m sure that sierra LOVES it. It IS a nice size. It’s about the same size that you mad for my gym bag isn’t it?

2. kate C.
    kate C. says:

Nice bag! It’s a little hard to tell the size exactly from the pictures… maybe show on a kid and then an adult model? It’s really cute, though!

Did you make up the pattern yourself or adapt an online pattern?

p.s. obviously I was able to see the website fine this time!

• sewingbymoonlight
      sewingbymoonlight says:

Hi Kate. Great suggestions about the photos. I’ll have to do that when I get around to selling them. I just made up the pattern by looking at various similar sorts of bags that we had around the house and modifying the size/features.

3. Renee
    Renee says:

This dance bag is so Sierra. I love the fabric choices. I think it would be interesting if you were able to make the lining inside out of water proof material. I would be interested in having you make one for Emily for her to take to swim practice. It would have to be in adult size though she has a lot to stuff to go into it. It would need to fit a clothes, beach towel, goggles, swim cap, shampoo and showering items. She has a huge team swim bag she uses for swim meets but something smaller would be nice for practice. .

4. Renee
    Renee says:

Where do you find all your fabric? I love all the color choice that you have chosen for your projects. Do you by any chance have a website you know of for getting ribbon at a good price.

I am really going to move forward with my bow making and make different styles. When I get some done I will post so you can see them. I would love to get your opinion on them.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!