Remember when you were a kid and you got to have Show and Tell on Friday? Wasn’t that the best?! Well, when you are a grown-up, and you sew, you can have Sew and Tell on Friday, hosted by Amy at Amy Lou Who.
Now, I know it’s not Friday, but I already mentioned that my yesterday was filled to the brim with track and only track, so here I am, on Saturday, and the (no longer a) baby is asleep on my arm, but I don’t want to move her and risk waking her before I type this up. Phew!
I finished my April addition for Thea in my free form quilting robin. I mentioned on Wednesday that I had finished it, but I couldn’t consider it truly finished until it was in the mail on the way to its next stop. (Getting it in the mail tends to hold me up sometimes!) I’m happy to report that it is packaged up and on the way to Indiana!
Here is what arrived in the mail early in the month:
Thea’s starter pieces was the dresden in the middle. The first addition was the green and turquoise background to the dresden, and the second addition was the border with the drunkard’s path blocks and the white rectangles.
I must admit that this project really stumped me. It has a lovely, understated color palette and uses a lot of batik prints. It’s pretty, but well outside what I usually tend toward stylistically. I took it out and just stared at 3 or 4 different times before I started finally pulling fabrics to use. And after that, I still wasn’t sure of the design. Here’s what I ended up with:
My first plan was to use the white space as sort of a “blank canvas” and do some appliqué: circles of random sizes, perhaps, or flowers. Then I considered creating a patchwork strip and cutting away some of the white along one side in a serpentine so that I attached the patchwork following a curved seam.
Ultimately, I decided that I should probably not overcomplicate it. There was already a lot going on with the curves and the various batiks, so I took things “back to basics” by constructing some log cabin blocks and incorporating some solids.
I started with the flower print in the middle of the large log cabins. The flowers tie into the curves that are already present, and the color was a nice compliment. I alternated solid and print fabrics in the log cabin blocks, constructing them with warm colors on one side and cool colors on the other. The two large log cabin oppose each other in this pattern.
Along one side, I made three small log cabin blocks, adding additional borders between them to get the length I needed.
When I sent the package off, I included some strips of the solids I used so that they may be used in future rounds before the final quilt makes its way back to Thea. I’m happy with how it turned out. I hope Thea is too.