Sunday stash: My first Liberty

People love Liberty of London. They rave about how awesome it is. But it is so damn expensive!! Seriously, we’re talking $30-$35 per yard. Ouch!

I finally decided I needed to find out what the hype was all about so I ordered a very small bundle from Alice Caroline supply. Each piece is only about 9×12 inches or so, but it’s enough to use in a small scrappy project (I have one in mind, which is the reason I finally ordered some of this). I haven’t sewn with this yet, but I’m interested. It feels light and smooth so I’m wondering if it will be slippery in my machine.

Liberty of London

I ordered this rainbow bundle so I could get a good array of colors and prints. The style is much smaller scale and “busier” than I typically gravitate toward, but I think by mixing it up with some solids, these fun additions will bring a great little “pop” to my project.

My favorites of the bunch are these cute little birds:

Liberty of London

And this green print with pretty white flowers.

Liberty of London

If you’re interested in adding some Liberty of London style to your project, the quilting line is now available for around $16/yard. Not cheap, but half as much as the tana lawn!

What do you think: do you love Liberty? Not your style? Never tried it? Want to try it?

button_sunday stash

11 replies
  1. Stephanie
    Stephanie says:

I wish I could get my hands on liberty! I fell in love with all the prints when they teamed up with target a few years back 🙂 I wanted to buy all their collection but decided on a white porcelain piggy bank with gorgeous floral print! Now if only I had some liberty to make a complimentary quilt 🙂

2. Terry
    Terry says:

Sorry, not interested. The cost would prevent me from even LOOKING at it. I resent expensive fabric. It better sew itself for that price.

3. kate C.
    kate C. says:

I don’t get what all the hype is about myself. It sounds like it feels nice, which is something. But the prints aren’t really that exciting to me. Many do remind me of prints used by W’s grandmother in her Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt. And I like the way that turned out, but not really my style to start with, I guess.

4. Serena
    Serena says:

I fear that if I bought some I would be too scared to cut into it and so the lovely fabric would be left on the shelf in a hue of procrastination … looking forward to seeing your project using these – you brave thing!

5. Green
    Green says:

I’ve only heard of it a little. They are not the kind of prints that I go for, usually. I do think the two you highlight are sweet – especially the little birds. How is it? Is it worth the high price?

6. Sandi
    Sandi says:

I’ve seen a few prints that I really like, and I’ve handled some bits of Tana Lawns, so I know how awesome it feels. However, I have to laugh when I hear quilters raving over it. It looks like a better quality version of the stuff that was on the JoAnn Fabrics calico wall for decades.

7. Flo
    Flo says:

I’ve never heard of it. I’m not sure I like the busy prints and definitely not the cost either. Looking forward to what you will make from them.

8. Tessa - The Sewing Chick
    Tessa - The Sewing Chick says:

So, so pretty! Being from England, I was taught at a young age that Liberty fabric was something special. To this day, I have a great admiration for it even if I don’t always like the prints. When you put them all together in a bundle like this, I think they are just wonderful. Have fun sewing with them – you can always use starch if they are a bit slippy!

9. Fiona @ Finding Fifth
    Fiona @ Finding Fifth says:

Long before quilting my friend took me to the Liberty store in London. A very old department store and full of character. Loved it. I also finished off a log cabin quilt my mum started decades ago in Liberty so it was nice to work with the light cotton but i would have to LOVE a print to buy at those prices.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!