I was chatting with my mom about my sewing projects and she mentioned that while she works on one project and then moves on, I seem to always be working on several concurrently.
No, no, I assured her. The list is long, and while I rotate through the list, my focus is usually on one item.
This conversation made me aware of my sewing habits and I realized I totally lied. Well, not lied, per se, but I was definitely not fully aware of how I operate. Of course my mom knew this better than I did. As it turns out, even within one sewing session, I might rotate through four projects (that seems to be my balance number: keeps it interesting without overwhelming me).
Here is what The List looked like last week, along with my progress:
1. Bill’s Quilt. — It’s with the long armer. When I get it back, I have to finish the binding and then send it off to Bill.
2. Sarah’s Quilt. — Fabric has arrived! Moving on to a whole mound of HSTs!
3. MQG Riley Blake challenge baby quilt. — no progress
4. Secret table runner. — Two blocks and a bunch of flying geese finished.
5. January blocks for the Stash Bee. — Done and done. Must mail them!
6. February block and tutorial for the Stash Bee. — I’m going with “any star block” and will include several examples for my bee mates. I’ve made a few and plan to finish 2 more before I write my tutorial.
7. starter block for Sisterhood of the Traveling Quilts. #sottq — color scheme selected and fabric pulled.
8. blocks for Rachel. These need to be mailed by February. — no progress
9. 4×5 Modern Quilt Bee blocks (6). — Signing up today!!
Mei tais – no progress
10. Brie: baby Brynn was born in October, so I need to get this one made ASAP.
11. Kim: I have been hoarding this fabric for Kim’s someday baby for ages. Really. Years. She studied tropical fish ecology in grad school (where we met) and the fabric has a scene of (you guessed it) tropical reef fishes. Her New Year baby was born January first.
12. Christine: My sister is expecting Oliver in March.
[Possible 13 + 14: my friend Kathryn mentioned wanting a couple mei tais for expecting friends, but I don't have any details yet, so these aren't officially on The List]
13. Five pillow covers for the St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild cares project. — label acquired.
14. Curtains for my living room. – one done, one to go. I mis-measured and it’s hanging a bit too short. I was trying to decide if it was worth moving the curtain rod down or if I should just go with it.
Only one item off the list this week, so now it looks like this:
1. Bill’s Quilt.
2. Sarah’s Quilt.
3. MQG Riley Blake challenge baby quilt.
4. Secret table runner.
5. February block and tutorial for the Stash Bee.
6. starter block (and journal) for Sisterhood of the Traveling Quilts. #sottq
7. blocks for Rachel. These need to be mailed by February.
8. 4×5 Modern Quilt Bee blocks (6).
[Possible 12 + 13: my friend Kathryn mentioned wanting a couple mei tais for expecting friends, but I don't have any details yet, so these aren't officially on The List]
12. Five pillow covers for the St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild cares project.
13. Curtains for my living room. Better get those done. We’re rather exposed at the moment.
14. Curtains for the dining room.
This list is a little long for my tastes. I prefer to keep it around 10 “priority” items (By that I mean, things I’m working on now and hope to finish in the relatively near future. Because I have a whole mess of other WiPs that are currently put away). I’d better get some things crossed off!!